Treat Your Life Like a Mystery Novel
Posted October 18, 2011 by Nancy
Last week I started the series
7 Ways to Find the Work the that Makes Your Heart Sing.
The first was Get out of Your Rut.
Today–number two (and again in no particular order) is:
Treat Your Life Like a Mystery Novel.
In order to figure out what makes your heart sing–you need to start viewing your life as a great mystery that needs to be unraveled and explored. You need to get curious about your own life. Start investigating, start exploring, start unraveling you.
Honestly, the answer to what makes your heart sing–is inside of you. It is your heart, your skills, your passions, your interests that I am talking about. You just need to start getting curious about your own needs, wants, passions. As you go through your day–pay attention, do some investigating. Dig deep, ask one question then ask another and pay attention to the themes and patterns that come up for you.
- What do you dread about your day?
- Why do you dread it so much?
- What activities make you down right giddy to get out of bed?
- What makes you smile?
- What movies/books/songs do you love?
- When do you find yourself getting stressed and annoyed?
- What are you annoyed about?
- What in particular is stressing you?
- What fascinates you? Be specific–what are you curious about?
- Where do you find meaning?
- How do you spend your time?
- How do you want to spend your time differently?
- What do you value, I mean REALLY value?
- What are the most important people/places/things in your life?
- What about them is important?
- What activities/thoughts/ideas do you just lose time with?
- What could you do for hours and hours and hours?
You are the person that you will spend the most time with in your life—so why not get to know that person as much as possible. When we truly know ourselves we can start naming the activities and work that makes our heart sing.