Join the mailing list for weekly wisdom and updates.
Unfortunately, the term boundaries has gotten a bad rap. Boundary setting is seen as harsh, mean, selfish and cruel. In reality, boundary setting has a lot of wonderful benefits.
Here are some benefits to setting healthy boundaries
- People know where we stand: When we set clear boundaries it reduces a lot of communication problems because people know what to expect from us and they can react accordingly.
- Our needs and priorities are clear: in order to set clear boundaries we have to have clear needs and priorities.
- You are free to live your life because you know where you stand and you are comfortable sharing those boundaries with other.
- You are less angry because you are taken advantage of less.
- You feel more in control of your life and your happiness.
- You live happier; imagine having communication running smoother, priorities. set and needs being met…yikes–sounds a living happier gold mine.
The challenge of setting healthy boundaries:
- It requires support. It is tough to set boundaries on our own–especially as we are just starting out.
- It can feel mean, selfish and harsh. So it is important to have the inner strength and until you can build it the external strength.
- When boundary setting is new it can take awhile for people to ‘catch up’ and understand the ‘new rules’.
This Thursday we are continuing the Trust Yourself Already series by talking about The Fine Fine Line between Caring and Over Caring….learn some tips on how to stop people pleasing, keep healthy boundaries and gain joy from giving again. Register here.