You don't have to live stressed out and exhausted.
I originally wrote this post in September of 2013–and I decided today ii need a little reminder of the joy of playing hooky–
so I wanted to share it again. Enjoy!!
I confess yesterday I played hooky. My nearest and dearest and I along with a couple of friends took the day off and went to the zoo. It was a beautiful sunny day and we had a wonderful time! Not just because it was a beautiful day and we were hanging out with good friends watching the animals but because we were out of our routine. I confess we have been stuck in a rut so doing something out of the norm felt so good! Maybe you can relate?
The joy of playing hooky is that it ‘feels good to be bad’. It feels mischievous to get out of the routine, and shake up the week and go to the zoo. I have the tendency to get ‘wound a little too tightly’ so playing hooky is an wonderful way to get out of the go, go , go pattern and back into simplicity. Back in to the ‘ah’ of life, back in to living happier. It allows me to pull back from life and get some perspective.
Playing hooky doesn’t have to be taking the whole afternoon off to go to the zoo. Playing hooky means getting out of your routine, shaking things up, adding a little surprise to your life.
- Skipping dinner and going to the movies instead–having movie popcorn for dinner.
- A last minute stop at Dairy Queen on the way home from school (one of my favorite memories of growing up was when my mom would surprise me with a stop to get a Peanut Buster Parfait–yum!)
- Buying flowers at the grocery store.
- Getting a last minute babysitter and treating your spouse to drinks out.
- Going out for breakfast before school/work.
- Challenging the kids to a pillow fight, or food fight or both 🙂
- Eating dinner only with your fingers.
- Planning a last minute weekend getaway to a local state/national park.
- Having a game night.
- Taking a different way to work.
- Trying a new place for lunch.
- Surprising your spouse for lunch 🙂
- Making a picnic dinner.
- Eating dinner by candlelight.
I would love to hear from you. What are some ways you can think of to Play Hooky?
Here’s to getting out of the rut!!