Live Happier this Holiday: 40 days of wisdom and grace delivered to your inbox
Got Stress? We all do. We all have too much to get done in not enough time. Having the belief that we can do it all, handle it all without any awareness of our selves is a recipe for disaster.
We need to build more awareness around ourselves and our stress triggers. One of the ways to prevent stress triggers is to add small awareness rituals into your day. These rituals pull you out of your ‘routine’ and give you a chance to pull back, evaluate, get curious and decrease your stress.
The practice is to add 1 or 2 rituals to your day each day to start the practice of checking in and having curiosity. Then gradually as checking in becomes habit the rituals will become less forced and more just a part of you.
Here are some rituals I have added to my own day or know might be helpful.
- Before you start the day lie in bed take 3 deep breathes and set an intention for the day.
- When you are in the shower, pay attention to how the soap feels, how the shampoo smells and what you are feeling. Really BE in the shower.
- Create times and places where electronics are not permitted. e.g. at breakfast, at the table, in the bedroom etc.
- Start each morning with a glass of water—before you have your coffee or with your coffee drink a glass of water.
- When you eat a meal take time to sit down, and enjoy the meal. Savor each bite, pay attention to how it tastes and feels in your mouth.
- Take 3 deep breaths at certain times in the day e.g. in the car at a stop light, every time you hang up the phone, every time you sit down at your computer.
- When you are running errands, park the car at the back of the lot and as you walk in check in with your self.
- Once a week schedule some ‘me’ time—whether that be taking a bath, reading a good book, going on a long walk or just sitting on your deck.
- Implement a game night or activity night once a week or once a month. Turn off the electronics and engage in an activity together as a family or with friends.
- Plan a dance party and every day at a certain time dance to your favorite song.
- At dinner go around the table and name something you enjoyed about the day and something you wish you could change (or add your own idea).
- Before bedtime implement some relaxing rituals, making a cup of tea, turning down the lights, listening to soft music or writing in your journal or reading a book.
- As you crawl into bed take 3 deep breaths and name 5 things you are grateful for.
Want a pdf of the above list? You can grab it here.